Technology is increasingly conversion a scholarship of health, and a smoothness of health care. Scientists and entrepreneurs from a Seattle area are anticipating new ways to residence some of a biggest hurdles in health by leveraging some of a region’s fundamental strengths.
This connection of trends is generally clear this year in a Health Innovation of a Year difficulty for a GeekWire Awards. This difficulty recognizes pioneering health, life science, biotechnology and medical breakthroughs that guarantee to meaningfully urge lives, possibly directly or by improving a health caring system.
Today we’re noticing a 5 finalists in this difficulty for 2020: Athira Pharma, Blaze Bioscience, a Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Sana Biotechnology and Sound Life Sciences. Learn some-more about any finalist and expel your list below.
Community voting is now underneath approach opposite opposite 13 GeekWire Awards categories. These village votes will be total with feedback from some-more than 20 judges to establish a leader in any category. We’ll announce a formula live on theatre Mar 26 during a GeekWire Awards — presented by Wave Business — in front of some-more than 800 geeks during a Museum of Pop Culture in Seattle. Community voting ends Mar 6. You can register for tickets on a eventuality site or below.
Virtual primary caring startup 98point6 took home a esteem in a Health Innovation of a Year difficulty final year.
Submit your votes below, grab your tickets, and corkscrew down for descriptions of any Health Innovation of a Year finalist. This difficulty is presented by Premera Blue Cross.
Create your possess user feedback consult
- Athira Pharma: This biotech startup is building new drugs that could hindrance or retreat a haughtiness repairs that causes Alzheimer’s illness and other illnesses, including Parkinson’s and ALS. The association in Dec presented what it described as certain initial formula from a clinical hearing that enclosed patients with Alzheimer’s disease.
- Blaze Bioscience: Blaze Bioscience is regulating a protein borrowed from scorpion venom to make carcenogenic tumors glow. Blaze’s “tumor paint” technology, called BLZ-100 or tozuleristide, helps surgeons mark and mislay plain growth cells in patients. The association upheld a initial clinical hearing final year.
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center: Fred Hutch researchers have demonstrated a efficacy of a new process for removing defence cells to quarrel plain tumors — by swelling them like jam onto ultra-thin sheets of steel mesh, and afterwards laying a filigree onto a tumors.
- Sana Biotechnology: Former Juno Therapeutics executives Hans Bishop and Steve Harr launched Sana Biotechnology, a startup focused on dungeon therapy, gene therapy and gene editing. The association skeleton to emanate medicines opposite a operation of areas, including modifying cells both inside and outward a physique as good as immunological treatments to urge a accepting of donor cells.
- Sound Life Sciences: An app that uses sonar to detect opioid overdoses done a jump from investigate to startup with a arrangement of a new association called Sound Life Sciences. The Second Chance app is a product of University of Washington researchers who set out to spin a smartphone’s microphone and orator into a lifesaving device.
A large interjection to a longtime awards presenting partner, Wave Business, for ancillary this fun village event. Also, interjection to bullion and difficulty sponsors: BCRA, EY, JLL, Premera, WSGR and Blink. And to a ancillary sponsors First Tech Federal Credit Union, Bader Martin, Akvelon, Flyhomes and Moz. If meddlesome in sponsoring a difficulty or another member of a GeekWire Awards, greatfully hit us at firstname.lastname@example.org.