Publishers Vaka and Playism, and Shin Megami Tensei: Syncrhonicity Prologue developer Team Ladybug have announced Touhou Luna Nights, a 2D action exploration game based on the Touhou Project property. It will launch for PC via Steam Early Access on August 20 for $11.99 with support for English, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, and Korean languages.
Here is an overview of the game, via Playism:
Touhou Luna Nights is a 2D metroidvania style game, developed by Team Ladybug, known for their titles KonoSuba: God’s Blessing on this Wonderful World! Revival of Beldia (YouTube) and Shin Megami Tensei: Synchronicity Prologue (YouTube). Absolutely enchanted by the free-flowing, beautiful 2D worlds of the Touhou Project series, Team Ladybug took on the task of developing this title.
“Now… my world will begin…”
The vampire from the Scarlet Devil Mansion ,”Remilia Scarlet,” suddenly sends her maid, “Sakuya Izayoi” to a parallel universe similar to Gensokyo.
A strange world, with strange youkai.
What is Remilia up to……?
Using her power to control time, Sakuya races through this parallel universe to find the truth behind this elaborate “game”, and to “perfectly” play along with Lady Remilia’s time-killing hobby…
- Sakuya Izayoi – Head maid of the Scarlet Devil Mansion, with the power to control time. She is sent off to a mysterious “space”, which resembles Gensokyo but is somehow slightly off, by her mistress, Remilia Scarlet.
- Remilia Scarlet – Vampire mistress of both Scarlet Devil Mansion and Sakuya. Having sent Sakuya to a “magic space” of her own creation, she seems to be plotting something…
- Nitori Kawashiro – An artisan Kappa with a deep love of machines. She helps Sakuya in various ways after being sent to the parallel universe. (But not for free.)
- Hieda no Akyuu – Hieda no Akyuu is pretty much synonymous with “records” in Gensokyo. She advises Sakuya to keep records even within the magic space – but the recording “method” is like nothing she’s ever seen before.
- Brilliant pixel graphics fleshing out the beautiful world of the Touhou series.
- Metroidvania-style map gimmicks taking advantage of the character’s game-systemized ability to stop time and other powers.
- The 2D game adaptation of the Touhou Project’s “grazing” feature adds a thrill to closing in on enemies
A word from the Publisher
Team Ladybug began with Pharaoh Rebirth, continuing with other enjoyable games including KonoSuba: God’s Blessing on this Wonderful World! Revival of Beldia and Shin Megami Tensei: Synchronicity Prologue. Since then, we have been waiting in anticipation for their next project.
This time, they have created a fan fiction game based off the world-renowned Touhou series. From the background to the character’s movements and various skills, one can feel the creator’s passion for games and love of the Touhou series.
While it is a 2D exlporaiton game similar to Castlevania, the game can easily progress without the insistence of repeat elements or collecting items. This has resulted in a spectacular game born from the game production skills cultivated by Team Ladybug.
And we personally want to highlight the beauty of the game’s anime sprites. You can see the attention to detail the creator put into not only the leading character’s movements, but the effects and enemy characters.
Touhou Luna Nights is not only for Touhou fans. It is a game that can be enjoyed by anyone who loves 2D action games.
Watch the announcement trailer below. View the first screenshots at the gallery.