Square Enix showed the first gameplay of its Tokyo Game Show 2017-announced third-person shooter Left Alive to members of the press at Gamescom 2018. While it did not release that footage to the public, it did release a new set of screenshots.
- Left Alive is not just a “boots on the ground shooter.” There are also robot battles where one of the game’s three protagonists pilots a Wanzer mecha from the Front Mission series.
- Players will often be able to choose whether to fight the soldiers guarding the Wanzer mechas or take another approach on foot.
- On foot combat is very tactical and offers limited resources. You must use traps, improvised weapons, and crafting to fight against enemies that outgun you.
- Choice is a key element, including the rescuing of civilians trapped in the city. Each civilian has their own motive and backstory, and will take convincing to get them to follow you. You can also choose to abandon them if you are unable to convince them or have stopped caring.
- At the end of the game, you will learn not only what happens to the three protagonists, but also to the civilians you rescued.
A release date for Left Alive has yet to be announced. It will be released for PlayStation 4 and PC.
View the screenshots at the gallery.