Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro was amongst best-selling devices last year, Xiaomi launched it running on Android Nougat, and was updated to Android 8.1 (Oreo) in June 2018. The company rolled out Android 9.0 (Pie) update to the smartphone back in May this year, the device is almost 18 months old and has already received two Android updates. It is almost certain that Xiaomi will not update the Android version on the Redmi Note 5 Pro, but in case you own a Redmi Note 5 Pro and wish to keep your device updated with the latest Android version, you may try a custom ROM. We had earlier tried Android 10 based Arrow OS on our Redmi Note 5 Pro and now, we are back with Android 10 based Pixel Experience custom ROM flashing tutorial.
Performance and Benchmarks:
It obtained AnTuTu score of 138220 on Pixel Experience. It scored 1326 points in single-core test and 4761 points in multi-core test in Geekbench 4. In Geekbench 5 test, it managed to get a 282 points in single-core test and 1242 points in multi-core test. We will be testing the real-life performance over the next few days and update the post with review.
Software, UI, and Apps:
As the name suggests, the Pixel Experience ROM aims towards providing a clean Pixel-like experience on the device. There is no bloatware pre-installed, only a few Google apps preinstalled.
Out of 64 GB internal storage, 10.36 GB is occupied by the system and users get around 53 GB of free storage. This ROM is based on the latest Android 10 and has October security patch.
Android 10 offers various choices for navigation, users can choose between 3-button navigation, 2-button navigation (Pill based, similar to Android 9.0 Pie) and Gestures navigation. Users coming from MIUI will find the Android 10 gestures very familiar.
Android 10 features a system-wide dark mode along with theming options such as accent color, icon shape, and body font, all of these features are also available on Pixel Experience ROM but you need to enable developer options to change these.
We will be testing the ROM over the next few days and update it with review along with camera samples.
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro with an unlocked bootloader – To Unlock the bootloader of your device, apply here.
- Bypass Anti-rollback – Download the ZIP file from here.
- TWRP for Redmi Note 5 Pro – You can download the recovery file from here.
- Pixel Experience OS – Download the latest ROM ZIP file from here.
- GApps – Included with ROM.
- Magisk – Download here.
- ADB software (For Windows) / Android zip file (For Mac)
If you are on a Mac you need to
- Extract the Android zip and place the folder on your Desktop.
- Open Terminal
- Type cd Desktop/Android
- Enter ./ADB-Install-Mac.sh
Follow the procedure mentioned below to flash the ROM on the device,
- Switch off the phone and boot it into fastboot mode by long pressing Power and Volume down buttons simultaneously.
- Connect your phone to PC by a USB cable, open command prompt on your PC and navigate to the folder where you have downloaded TWRP Recovery.
- Type ‘fastboot devices’ in command prompt and check if the device is detected by the system.
- If the system detects the phone, type ‘fastboot flash antirbpass anti-rollback_filename.zip’ and hit enter, now type ‘fastboot flash recovery twrp_filename.img’ and hit enter, the process will be completed in seconds.
- Now long-press the Volume up and Power Button to boot the phone in recovery mode.
- It will ask to allow modifications, slide towards the right to allow Modifications.
- Select ‘Wipe’, click on ‘Format Data’ and type ‘Yes’. Go to ‘Advanced Wipe’, select ‘Dalvik / ART Cache’, ‘System’. ‘Data’, ‘Cache’ and then swipe towards the right to Wipe.
- Go back and click on ‘Install’, navigate to the location where you have stored ROM zip, and Magisk (optional), it’s better to keep these zip files on SD Card or USB OTG drives. Select the ROM file and Magisk, then swipe towards the right to flash.
- Click on ‘Reboot’ and then ‘System’, within 10-15 minutes device will boot with Pixel Experience OS.
Warning Disclaimer: Bootloader unlocking and flashing ROM may void the warranty of Xiaomi devices, FoneArena is not responsible for any damage or loss caused to your device. Credits for Pixel Experience OS, TWRP Recovery, and Magisk go to their respective developers.