Here’s what we’re talking about this week on the GeekWire Podcast.
The gravity of the COVID-19 virus outbreak hit home hard in Seattle this week: Large events were banned, schools were closed, and thousands of people struggled to adjust to working from home. Restaurants began to feel the pinch – some even closed temporarily – as people stayed home. The Seattle Archdiocese said it would suspend celebration of the Eucharist at services. Amazon will hold its annual shareholder meeting online … a first.
This podcast is a small example: we recorded the show entirely remotely for the first time, with each of us in our respective homes, connected via video conference, rather than sitting together in our studio at the office as we usually do.
Over three dozen people have died from the virus and over 500 cases of the disease were reported. The number of infections and the death toll continued to rise. And testing for the disease continues to be a problem.
We discuss several angles to this fast-moving story:
Children in Seattle-area schools will be home at least until April 24. Nicole Tanner talks with us about what the experience of learning in a virtual classroom is like for her second-grade daughter … and herself:
- ‘Classroom to Cloud’: What happened when coronavirus forced my kid’s school to go online
Alan Boyle has been reporting on what testing for COVID-19 can tell us about the disease:
- Researcher says more coronavirus testing will help manage outbreak, but travel bans? Not so much
Kurt Schlosser visited the eerily quiet South Lake Union neighborhood, where Amazon is headquartered:
- Photos: Seattle’s tech hub goes quiet as businesses struggle to cope with effects of COVID-19
And Monica Nickelsburg wrote about Amazon taking its annual shareholder meeting into the cloud:
- Amazon moves shareholder meeting online, cancels in-person event where investors and protestors gather in Seattle annually
With GeekWire’s Todd Bishop, Monica Nickelsburg and Kurt Schlosser, and special guest, contributing writer Nicole Tanner. Audio editing and production by Curt Milton. Music by Daniel L.K. Caldwell.
- Follow Nicole Tanner on Twitter: https://twitter.com/nicoletanner
Her former podcast co-hosts can be found here:
- Regina McMenomy at The Geek Embassy
- Stephen Duetzmann at Engaged Family Gaming