Here’s what we’re talking about this week on the GeekWire Podcast.
Amazon’s second headquarters may be closer to Seattle than you think. Amazon says it plans to grow its presence in Bellevue, in the Seattle suburbs, to 15,000 employees in the next few years. That could be comparable to the number of employees working in the official HQ2 site of Arlington, Va. Will the company find a friendlier climate in the ’burbs?
- Yes, Virginia, there is an Amazon HQ2, but it’s actually 10 miles outside of Seattle
- Amazon to bring 15,000 employees to Bellevue as rapid expansion in Seattle-area city continues
We also discuss how a case of billionaire envy may have driven Amazon’s secretive drive for HQ2 and possibly damaged its reputation for openness.
- Bloomberg News: Behind Amazon’s HQ2 Fiasco: Jeff Bezos Was Jealous of Elon Musk
What caused the Iowa caucuses app fiasco and how might it influence an upcoming Seattle-area election that will be the first in the country to be done via a mobile app?
The failure of the app that was supposed to speed up reporting of results leaves questions about the security of high-tech voting in its wake. The issue shook the confidence of a public wary of the tech industry and concerned about election security.
- What caused the Iowa app debacle, and why election tech leaders say it won’t happen in Seattle
And finally, Seattle baseball fans will be able to use augmented reality software to digitally resurrect a concrete stadium that wasn’t very popular when it was standing. We discuss what tech we’d really like to see at T-Mobile Park.
- Old ballgame, new tech touches: Update at Seattle’s T-Mobile Park will offer AR view of Kingdome
With GeekWire’s Monica Nickelsburg and Kurt Schlosser. Audio editing and production by Curt Milton. Music by Daniel L.K. Caldwell.