— Nintendo is on a roll. Though its current console, the Nintendo Switch, doesn’t boast the same type of processing power as Microsoft’s Xbox One or Sony’s PlayStation 4, it has dominated sales in the space, selling more than 10 million units last fiscal quarter alone. Nintendo President Doug Bowser will be speaking about the company’s success and the future of the gaming industry in general at the Bellevue Chamber Lunch at the Westin Bellevue at 11:30 a.m. on Feb. 13.
— When viewed from a distance, scientific researchers tend to look the same. In the media, we often see people in lab coats hunched over microscopes or giving complex explanations. But there’s an amusing undercurrent that most of us don’t see. Dr. Matthew Murtha aims to break down the stereotypes in a fun way with Science Comedy, a series of events featuring humorous takes on recent tech trends and guest scientists who will offer insight into their careers and how they blend fun with the seriousness. Science Comedy will host two shows a night on Feb. 14-16, starting at 7 p.m. at the Theater Puget Sound.
Here are more highlights from the GeekWire Calendar:
- How to Build a Culture People Want to Work In: A presentation about strategies for creating positive company culture at the 2100 Building in Seattle; 9:30 to 11:30 a.m., Thursday, Feb. 13.
- SAC Workshop: How to Find an Investor Who Gets Your Business: A talk about strategies for startups looking for investors at WeWork in Seattle; 12 to 2 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 13.
- 21 Hats Podcast Live Recording: A live recording of the podcast about startups and startup culture at Blink UX in Seattle; 4 to 7:30 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 13.
- Future-Proofing Your Brand: A presentation about strategies for brand development at WeWork in Seattle; 5:30 to 7 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 13.
- Light Up Cards LED Workshop: A workshop about making crafts with LEDs at Push/Pull in Seattle; 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 13.
- D D Galentine’s Day Fundraiser: A fundraising event for the Greater Seattle Bureau of Fearless Ideas, where attendees can play quick games of Dungeons Dragons at Rooftop Brewery in Seattle; 7 to 10 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 13.
- Fundamentals for Startups: Building a Compelling Investor Pitch: A presentation about strategies for investment pitches at Fluke Hall at the University of Washington in Seattle; 12 to 1 p.m., Friday, Feb. 14.
- From Candidate to Employee: Building Your Job Search Brand: A workshop about how to present yourself as a great job candidate at Code Fellows in Seattle; 12:15 to 1 p.m., Friday, Feb. 14.
- AAAS Family Science Days: A family-friendly science event featuring hands-on activities for all ages at the Sheraton Grand Seattle; Saturday, Feb. 15 and Sunday, Feb. 16.
- Beer and Board Games: A beer-tasting and board game playing session at Blue Highway Games in Seattle; 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 15.
- Why We Should Be Cautious with Our Kids’ Data: A talk from author Leah Plunkett about the risks of sharing too much information about kids online at The Forum at Town Hall in Seattle; 7:30. to 9:30 p.m., Tuesday, Feb. 18.
For more upcoming events, check out the GeekWire Calendar, where you can find meetups, conferences, startup events, and geeky gatherings in the Pacific Northwest and beyond. Organizing an event? Submit details here.