— The ability to travel through the stars is something that we all dream of, but in reality, becoming one of those people is very, very hard. But you can still take part in the space program by participating in a number of programs and projects here on the ground. A special chance to put your talents to use for NASA is the NASA International Space Apps Challenge Hackathon, which takes place Oct. 18-20 at the SURF Incubator. During the weekend, space-lovers can work on both software and hardware projects that may contribute to NASA’s mission in the future.
— The Museum of Pop Culture is getting ready to showcase one of the most popular video games of all time: Minecraft. The exhibition will celebrate the 10th anniversary of the game’s release and will feature various items created in the game’s blocky style to make visitors feel like they’ve fallen into the game themselves. The exhibit opens on Oct. 19 with a special opening celebration.
Here are more highlights from the GeekWire Calendar:
- The Bend Venture Conference: A two-day conference focused on entrepreneurs and investors at the Tower Theater in Bend, Ore.; Thursday, Oct. 17 and Friday, Oct. 18.
- CrowdSolve Seattle: A workshop where attendees of multiple disciplines will work with forensic experts to solve two real cold cases at The Westin Seattle; Thursday, Oct. 17 – Sunday, Oct. 20.
- Seattle Interactive Conference: A two-day conference bringing together entrepreneurs and technology professionals at the Conference Center at the Washington State Convention Center in Seattle; Thursday, Oct. 17 and Friday, Oct. 18.
- Ready Set Raise Demo Night: An event where eight female founders pitch their companies at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle; 6:30 to 10 p.m., Thursday, Oct 17.
- Susan Schneider: AI and the Future of Our Minds: A reading by Susan Schneider from her book at The Forum at Town Hall in Seattle; 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.; Thursday, Oct. 17.
- Fundamentals for Startups Friday: Demonstrating Inclusiveness and Diversity Through Branding: A presentation about how diversity in branding can have effects on the culture of a company at the CoMotion Labs at the University of Washington in Seattle; 12 to 1 p.m., Friday, Oct. 18.
- Small Business Roundtable: An event where small business owners can talk about issues close to them with Sen. Manka Dhingra at the Redmond Library in Redmond; 4:30 to 6 p.m., Friday, Oct. 18.
- Brewology: An event focused on the science of crafting brews at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle; 7 to 10 p.m., Friday, Oct. 18.
- Civic Participation Hackathon: An event where attendees try to make technologies that make it easier for people to get involved with their communities at the Flatiron School in Seattle; 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 19.
- Techstars Startup Week: A week-long conference featuring keynotes and workshops on various aspects of making a startup successful at Galvanize Pioneer Square in Seattle; Monday, Oct. 21 to Friday, Oct. 25.
- Global Gamesforum: A two-day conference focused on game development at the Bell Harbor Conference Center in Seattle; Tuesday, Oct. 22 and Wednesday, Oct. 23.
For more upcoming events, check out the GeekWire Calendar, where you can find meetups, conferences, startup events, and geeky gatherings in the Pacific Northwest and beyond. Organizing an event? Submit details here.