Upgrading Windows 10 to new feature updates via Windows Update
is not always simple as your PC could be prevented from
downloading the updates.
Windows Update is not always the most reliable way to download
and install Windows 10 updates. For feature updates, Microsoft
says it’s always taking “a throttled approach” to the rollout,
so not everyone will be getting it.
A slight delay in being able to
download and install the Windows 10 feature updates is
actually quite acceptable, but it could be annoying when the
update is not offered on your computer for several weeks or
months, and there’s no clarity.
Fortunately, Microsoft provides plenty of options for
installing Windows 10 updates. For example, you can use Windows
10 ISO file or Media Creation Tool to do an in-place upgrade
without losing your data.
A new batch file takes things further by allowing you to
instruct Media Creation Tool to download any version of Windows
10 ISO. You can also use the Media Creation Tool to do an
in-place upgrade without losing your data.
How to download any Windows 10 feature update
To download Windows 10 ISO of any version, follow these steps:
- Head to the Microsoft download page.
- Download Media Creation Tool.
- Save it in a folder called ‘MCT’.
- Go to Github, click on ‘raw’.
- Right-click anywhere on the page and save the batch script
to the ‘MCT’ folder. The file extension should be .bat
- Double-click on the .bat file.
- Select the version of Windows 10 you want.
- Accept the terms and conditions in the Media Creation Tool.
- Click ‘Next’.
- Select the second option “Create installation media.”
- Check the ‘Use the recommended options for this PC’.
- Click ‘Next’.
- Select the second option ‘ISO’ file.
- Select the location.
Once done, you can mount the Windows 10 ISO file and double
click on the setup.exe to download an in-place upgrade.
For those unaware, the in-place upgrade allows you to upgrade
your existing Windows installation to the latest version. It
also you to download and install monthly cumulative updates if
you’re unable to download it via Windows Update or Settings